CALL TO CAUCUS
Hampton Democratic Committee
Whereas, it is the duty of the Hampton Democratic Committee to issue the Call to Caucus for the purpose of electing 40 delegates and 10 alternates to the 2nd and 3rd Congressional District Democratic Conventions and the Virginia Democratic State Convention.
Now therefore be it resolved that the Hampton Democratic Committee hereby issues the Call to Caucus to convene an assembled caucus at 12:00 noon, Saturday, April 16, 2016 at the West Hampton Community Center, 1638 Briarfield Road, Hampton, Virginia for the sole purpose of electing:
8 delegates plus 2 alternates for Hillary Clinton and 3 delegates plus 1 alternate for Bernie Sanders to the 2nd Congressional District Convention to be held at the Lake Taylor Middle School, 1380 Kempsville Road, Norfolk, Virginia at 12 Noon May 14, 2016;
23 delegates and 6 alternates for Hillary Clinton and 6 delegates and 1 alternate for Bernie Sanders to the 3rd Congressional District Convention to be held Saturday, May 14, 2016 at Hampton High School, 1491 W. Queen Street, Hampton, VA 23669, between 9 a.m. and 12 Noon;
and the following provisions shall govern the convention, to wit:
1. Prefiling: Those wishing their names to be placed on the ballot at the Caucus shall prefile their candidacy by 5:00 p.m. April 9, 2016, with the Hampton Democratic Committee Co-Chairs or his/her designee.
2. Voluntary Administrative Fee: There shall be a voluntary administrative fee of fifteen dollars ($15.00) for each person filing for delegate, payable to the Hampton Democratic Committee. Payment of this fee is completely voluntary. No statement is required in order to waive payment.
3. Notice Requirements: The Hampton Democratic Committee shall cause to be published the time, date, and location of the Caucus at least 7 days prior to the Caucus, but not more than 2 weeks before the Caucus. All notices shall be published on the Committee’s website, on its Facebook page, and sent as a press release to local newspapers with distribution in the city of Hampton.
Notice of the prefiling deadline for delegate and alternate positions shall be published in the media listed above at least 7 days before the prefiling deadline but not more than 2 weeks before the deadline.
4. Conduct the Caucus: The doors to the Caucus will be opened at 11:00 a.m. Check-in will occur between 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon. The doors to the caucus will be closed at 12:00 noon and no further persons will be permitted to enter. Those in line at noon will be permitted to complete the check-in process and will be permitted to participate.
The Chair of the Hampton Committee or his/her designee, shall be the Temporary Chair of the Caucus and shall appoint a Temporary Secretary and such other Temporary Officers of the Caucus as is deemed appropriate. Until the adoption of the Rules, the order of the Caucus shall be determined by the Chair of the Caucus, subject to the approval of the Caucus participants, Robert’s Rules of Order, and the Virginia Democratic Party Plan.
5. Affirmative Action: It shall be the duty of each local precinct Democratic chair and the members of each local Democratic Committee to take all feasible steps to encourage broad participation in the delegate selection process. Discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, color, national origin, religion, ethnic identity or economic status in the delegate selection process is prohibited. The Hampton Democratic Committee shall make every effort to ensure that the Hampton delegation is half-male and half-female.
6. Call Distribution: It shall be the duty of the Hampton Democratic Committee Chair to distribute a copy of the Call to Caucus.
It shall further be the duty of the Hampton Democratic Committee Chair to cause this Call to Caucus to be publicized through the news media of Hampton as is feasible and required.
7. If fewer delegates and alternates than the required numbers have prefiled by the deadline, the caucus will be cancelled and the cancellation will be announced on the Committee’s website and Facebook page.